Friday, September 28, 2012

Open Doors



When we moved into our apartment building, I took homemade scones to each door on our floor, hoping to make some new friends.  Unfortunately, only one opened her door to me.  People were inside their apartments--I clearly heard TVs blaring, music playing, water running--but they dared not open their door to an intimidating young foreigner holding suspicious baked goods. 

Discouraged, we ate the scones ourselves.  

However, nine months ago something happened that changed everything...I got pregnant.

My baby bump was like magic.  Suddenly, every neighbor I ran into wanted to chat.  Congratulations!  When are you due?  Is it a boy or girl?  Will you have your baby in Taiwan?  Where are you from?  From there, it was easy to share some brief but meaningful small talk. Without trying, I made at least five new neighbor friends.

One neighbor brought me homemade rice dumplings.  Another started surprising me with special crackers and bottles of juice.  Another gave me her phone number and told me to give her a call if I needed any help.  Yet another knocked on our door, introduced herself, and offered to pick up things from Costco for the baby!

I never expected that getting pregnant would open doors to new relationships.  Amazing.

And...I didn't even have to make any scones.  












No comments:

Post a Comment